Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dipping Orks / Quick table top quality Horde force


So for my Orks, I'm not going to spend 8 hours apiece on the troops. Especialy when the units are 20-30 strong. I want to get them painted quickly, but have them look nice on the table top. I've been using some products form Army Painter, that I think really turn out well, and save a TON of time. In just a few steps you will have a completed unit. So on to it.....

I do this "assemply line" style, painting  a whole unit at a time.

Once assembled I glue citidel modeling sand on the base, then spray the models with Army painter Greenskin Primer. The beauty of the colored primer, is killing the primer and skin base color with one stone. (giant time saver).


  • A thing to note: I'm note going to be doing a lot of highlights with these models, so for the most part use bright colors so once the army painter dip is applied they will not be too dark. 
  • Before I get to the rest of the base colors I run a very quick drybrush of goblin green to all of the skin areas.




  • For all of the base colors, I thin the paints down quite a bit so the paint goes on thin and quickly!
  • First thing I base coat is the base. I use adeptus battlegray for a blasted wasteland look in the final product. 
  • Ultramaines blue for the pants. Skull white for the shirt (My color scheme is blue jeans and wife beater), Boltgun Metal for all the metal parts, Chaos Black for all the straps/boots/leather (matches the Warbikers black leather jackets)
  • Finally hit the teeth and claws with Bleached Bone, and stiching with tausept ochre.
  • If these were regular troops, the basecoat would be done, but since for this example I'm painting my converted tank busta's, I hit the fins of the rokkits with mecharite red. 


That didn't take long at all. The unit is now ready for the Army painter quick shade medium dip.




  • Be sure to follow the directions on Army painters web site, You need to really shake the excess off otherwhise excess will pool on elbows, bottoms of gun/ axe handles etc. 
  • Now you wait! once dipped they need to dry about 24 hours or more
  • While I'm waiting for one unit to dry I'll start basecoating another unit. or work on another project all together. 
Once dry you just need to hit the eyes with Blood red if desired, and paint the bottom of the base with Graveyard earth. Add burnt grass to the base and spray with matt spray.

For the Nob, I'll add a few small details to make him stand out. Some checkerboard, smiley on the rokkit.


Ork Tank Busta Unit complete!

Below are a few more examples using this exact same tecnique.

These guys are from my Chaos Space Marine legion, "The Eye's of Doom!". The only thing I added after diping was scorpion green highlight to the tubes, freehand eyeball and power sword highlights.

1 comment:

oni said...

Great results, very consistent shading over the models.